What was the biggest bomber in ww2?
The Sikorsky bomber had a wingspan just a few feet shorter than, with a bomb load only 3% of, a World War II Avro Lancaster.
What was Germany’s largest bomber?
Messerschmitt Me 264
What was the German planes called in ww2?
The German Luftwaffe fielded two of the best fighters in all of World War 2 – the Messerschmitt Bf 109 and Focke-Wulf 190. There are a total of 108 WW2 German Luftwaffe Fighters (1939-1945) in the Military Factory.
What was the best German fighter plane of ww2?
Who dropped the most bombs in ww2?
Every Bomb Dropped By The British & Americans During WW2
- Between 1939 and 1945, Allied planes dropped 3.4 million tons of bombs on Axis powers.
- Between 305,000 and 600,000 German and 330,000 and 500,000 Japanese civilians were killed by Allied bombs during the war.
- On the other hand, 60,595 British, 67,078 French and over 500,000 Soviet civilians were killed by Axis bombing.
What was the fastest piston engined aircraft of ww2?
The fastest German propeller driven aircraft to see combat in WWII was the twin-DB 603-powered Dornier Do 335 “Pfeil” which had a top speed of 763 km/h (474 mph).
What is the biggest plane in ww2?
Messerschmitt Me 323 Gigant
What were the best planes in ww2?
The 10 Deadliest Planes of World War II
- Nakajima B5N.
- Vought F4U Corsair.
- Supermarine Spitfire.
- Messerschmitt Bf 109. Plane Type: Fighter-Bomber.
- Lockheed P-38 Lightning. Plane Type: Fighter-Bomber.
- P-51 Mustang. Plane Type: Fighter, Ground Attack Fighter-Bomber.
- Republic P-47D Thunderbolt. Plane Type: Fighter.
- Junkers Ju 87 Stuka. Plane Type: Dive Bomber.
How many aircraft carriers did Germany have in ww2?
Although the German navy of World War Two is best known for its U-boats and its battleships Tirpitz and Bismarck, the Kriegsmarine did put one aircraft carrier into the water – the Graf Zeppelin — and was planning on building another.
How many fighter planes does Germany have?
For the Eurofighter Typhoon, Germany’s main fighter aircraft, that number is four—out of a total of 128. According to a report in Der Spiegel, the Bundeswehr has claimed in an official report to the Bundestag (Germany’s legislature) that 39 Typhoon fighters were designated as ready for missions last year.
Were there jets in ww2?
Aircraft and Jets of World War II
- Arado Ar 234: The German-made Ar 234 was the first jet-propelled bomber aircraft.
- Bell P-59 Airacomet: The U.S. Army Air Forces began planning for a jet aircraft in 1941.
- Bell XP-83: Bell Aircraft built the XP-83 in response to an Army Air Forces request for a more fuel-efficient fighter.
Was the mosquito faster than the Spitfire?
The first flights of the Mosquito confirmed what the design team had hoped for – the fastest operational plane of its day. The Mks II, III ands IV could fly at 380 mph – 19 mph faster than the Battle of Britain Spitfire and 50 mph faster than the Hawker Hurricane. The Mosquito was used for a variety of tasks.
Who shot down the most planes in ww2?
Ivan Kozhedub is both the top Soviet ace with 64 kills and the most successful Allied fighter pilot of World War II. However, Kozhudub’s first air battle could have been his last. His La-5 fighter suffered damage during a dogfight with a German Messerschmitt Bf-109.
What was the best Japanese fighter plane of ww2?
The Ki-84 is generally considered the best Japanese fighter to operate in large numbers during the conflict.
Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- Nakajima Ki-87.
- North American P-51 Mustang.
- Republic P-47 Thunderbolt.
- Supermarine Spitfire (Griffon-powered variants)
- Vought F4U Corsair.
Which German city was bombed the most in ww2?
Here, then, are the 10 most devastating bombing campaigns of WWII.
- Tokyo (November 1944-August 1945) – 100,000-plus killed.
- Hamburg (September 1939-April 1945) – 42,600 killed.
- Dresden (October 1944-April 1945) – 25,000 killed.
- Berlin (1940-1945) – 20,000-50,000 killed.
How many nukes dropped in ww2?
2 – Number of atomic bombs dropped on Japan during World War II. 80,000 – People who died instantly in Hiroshima, Japan, on August 6, 1945, when the first ever atomic bomb was used in war. The code name of the uranium-based bomb was “Little Boy.”
Was Dusseldorf bombed ww2?
Düsseldorf was heavily bombed during WWII. There was round-the-clock air attacks with a seven week bombardment of the city. Many buildings that were destroyed during the war were rebuilt to the previous style before the war, allowing Düsseldorf today to resemble Düsseldorf of the industrial revolution.
Who has the best pilots in ww2?
10 Deadliest World War II Fighter Pilots
- Erich Hartmann. Major Erich Hartman was a Luftwaffe fighter ace who is recognized for having shot down more enemy aircraft than any pilot in history.
- Hans-Joachim Marseille.
- Gerhard Barkhorn.
- George Beurling.
- Ivan Kozhedub.
- Richard Bong.
- Hiroyoshi Nishizawa.
- Kurt Welter.
How many Spitfires are still flying?
Revered as the plane that won the Battle of Britain in 1940, there are only 35 Spitfires still flying around the world.
Was the hurricane better than the Spitfire?
The slightly larger Hurricane was regarded as an easier aircraft to fly and was effective against Luftwaffe bombers. The Hurricane had a higher seating position, which gave the pilot a better view over the nose than the Spitfire.
Did Japan have jets in ww2?
It is a fallacy that Germany was the only nation to develop combat jets in World War II. Japanese scientists had actually studied jet engines as far back as the 1930s, despite little government support, and even a turbojet prototype by 1943.
How does the 747 lift off the ground?
Whether a single-seat propeller plane or a giant 747, there are four fundamental forces at work in airplanes. Lift counteracts the weight of the plane, keeping the airplane up in the air. The lift force is equal to the weight when an airplane is in level flight. Bernoulli’s principle helps to explain lift.
Did German jets see action in ww2?
Design work started before World War II began, but problems with engines, metallurgy and top-level interference kept the aircraft from operational status with the Luftwaffe until mid-1944. The Me 262 was faster and more heavily armed than any Allied fighter, including the British jet-powered Gloster Meteor.
Photo in the article by “Wikipedia”