The Arctic Ocean is the smallest of the world’s five ocean basins.
A polar bear walks on the frozen surface of the Arctic Ocean.
The freezing environment provides a home for a diverse range of creatures.
With an area of about 6.1 million square miles , the Arctic Ocean is about 1.5 times as big as the United States.
What are the 5 oceans from largest to smallest?
The oceans of the world are listed below in order of size, beginning with the largest.
- Pacific Ocean. The Pacific Ocean covers an area of about 168,723,000 square kilometers and is the world’s biggest ocean.
- Atlantic Ocean.
- Indian Ocean.
- Southern Ocean.
- Arctic Ocean.
What are the 10 largest oceans?
The world’s largest oceans and seas
|Ocean / Sea||Area (sq km)|
|7.||South China Sea||3,686,000|
6 more rows
What are the 5 biggest oceans in the world?
What are the 5 OCEANS of the World?
- 1 Pacific Ocean. The Pacific Ocean is the largest ocean covering more than 30% of the Earth.
- 2 Atlantic Ocean. The Atlantic Ocean is situated between the Americas and European/African continents.
- 3 Indian Ocean. Indian Ocean is the third largest ocean surrounding a densely populated region.
- 4 Southern Ocean.
- 5 Arctic Ocean.
Which sea is the largest?
1. Pacific Ocean-64,196,000 square miles (166,266,877 square kilometers) Pacific, the largest and the deepest of Earth’s oceanic divisions, covers about 46% of Earth’s water surface. Occupying one-third of Earth’s total surface area, pacific ocean is larger than all of Earth’s land area combined together.
What’s the smallest ocean in the world?
Is Indian Ocean bigger than Arctic Ocean?
Although the Arctic Ocean is by far the smallest of the Earth’s oceans, having only a little more than one-sixth the area of the next largest, the Indian Ocean, its area of 5,440,000 square miles (14,090,000 square km) is five times larger than that of the largest sea, the Mediterranean.
What’s bigger than an ocean?
Many people use the terms “ocean” and “sea” interchangeably when speaking about the ocean, but there is a difference between the two terms when speaking of geography (the study of the Earth’s surface). Seas are smaller than oceans and are usually located where the land and ocean meet.
Which is bigger the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean?
Covering approximately 20 percent of the Earth’s surface, the Atlantic Ocean is the second largest ocean basin in the world, following only the Pacific. However, it is only slightly larger than half the size of the Pacific Ocean.
What ocean is the deepest?
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”