The smallest body of water is the brook, a natural stream of water that is found aboveground and is often called a creek as well. A brook is usually a tributary (a small body of water that naturally flows into a large one) of a river, but this is not always the case.
What are small bodies of water called?
Phytotelma – a small, discrete body of water held by some plants. Pool – various small bodies of water such as a swimming pool, reflecting pool, pond, or puddle. Pond – a body of water smaller than a lake, especially those of artificial origin. Puddle – a small accumulation of water on a surface, usually the ground.
What are some smaller bodies of water that cover Earth?
Composed of salt water, they cover 70% of the Earth’s surface, and, in reality, are one “World Ocean” that we’ve broken up into five smaller divisions. They are, in descending order by size, the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Southern (or Antarctic), and Arctic.
What are the types of water bodies?
Bodies of Water
- Rivers and Streams.
What are the 7 bodies of water?
The Seven Seas include the Arctic, North Atlantic, South Atlantic, North Pacific, South Pacific, Indian, and Southern Oceans. The exact origin of the phrase ‘Seven Seas’ is uncertain, although there are references in ancient literature that date back thousands of years.
What are the 4 types of water?
4 Types Of Water
- Surface Water. Surface waters include streams, rivers, lakes, reservoirs, and wetlands. …
- Ground Water. Groundwater, which makes up around 22% of the water we use, is the water beneath the earth’s surface filling cracks and other openings in beds of rock and sand. …
- Wastewater. …
24 февр. 2016 г.
What body of water is bigger than an ocean?
Many people use the terms “ocean” and “sea” interchangeably when speaking about the ocean, but there is a difference between the two terms when speaking of geography (the study of the Earth’s surface). Seas are smaller than oceans and are usually located where the land and ocean meet.
What is the most dangerous body of water?
The Most Dangerous Bodies of Water in the World
- Drake Passage. …
- Lake Champlain. …
- Lake Nyos. …
- The Dead Sea. …
- Lake Kivu. The danger is hiding below. …
- Bermuda Triangle. The Bermuda Triangle has been known to sink ships. …
- Lake Michigan. Lake Michigan has extremely fast moving currents. …
- Blue Hole. One of the most dangerous diving spots in the world.
17 апр. 2018 г.
What are the 10 major bodies of water?
- THE WORLD’S LARGEST BODIES OF SALINE (SEA) WATER.
- Pacific Ocean – 155,556,651 sq km.
- Atlantic Ocean – 76,761,938 sq km.
- Indian Ocean – 68,555,923 sq km.
- Antarctic / Southern Ocean – 20,327,001 sq km.
- Arctic Ocean – 14,055,930 sq km.
- Hudson Bay – 4,041,400 sq km.
- South China Sea – 2,974,601 sq km.
What are the largest bodies of water on earth called?
The Pacific Ocean is the largest body of water on Earth. Located between the Southern Ocean, Asia, Australia, and the landmasses of the Western Hemisphere, the Pacific Ocean contains almost twice as much water as the world’s second largest body of water, the Atlantic Ocean.
What are the three types of water?
Most people don’t realize that there are three different types of water: utility grade, working grade and drinking water. It’s helpful to be aware of these different types of water so that we understand how they are used and to better educate us on water usage.
Which type of water body do you see?
These water bodies differ in size, right from huge ones like oceans and seas to the small ones like ponds. Thus the various water bodies we see on the earth’s surface are in the form of oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, ponds, waterfalls etc.
What is another word for a body of water?
n. ford, shallow, main, waterway, international waters, ocean, flowage, territorial waters, Embayment, pool, puddle, bay, shoal, sound, high sea, crossing, mid-water, offing, gulf, inlet, falls, polynya, backwater, recess, briny, watercourse, waterfall, seven seas, drink, lake, stream, channel, sea, estuary.
What are the 7 seas and 5 Oceans?
- the Arctic Ocean.
- the North Atlantic Ocean.
- the South Atlantic Ocean.
- the Indian Ocean.
- the North Pacific Ocean.
- the South Pacific Ocean.
- the Southern (or Antarctic) Ocean.
What are the 12 seas?
The following is a list of those seas arranged by area.
- Philippine Sea. Area: 2,000,000 square miles (5,180,000 sq km)
- Coral Sea. Area: 1,850,000 square miles (4,791,500 sq km)
- The South China Sea. Area: 1,350,000 square miles (3,496,500 sq km)
- Tasman Sea. …
- Bering Sea. …
- The East China Sea. …
- The Sea of Okhotsk. …
- Yellow Sea.
9 апр. 2020 г.
Is a Waterfall a body of water?
A waterfall is a river or other body of water’s steep fall over a rocky ledge into a plunge pool below. Waterfalls are also called cascades. … This happens both laterally (as a stream flows across the earth) and vertically (as the stream drops in a waterfall).