According to nineplanets.org
- 1 What are the 3 largest asteroids?
- 2 What are the 5 largest asteroids?
- 3 What are the 3 types of asteroids?
- 4 What size asteroid is dangerous?
- 5 What was the biggest asteroid?
- 6 What is the biggest asteroid that hit Earth?
- 7 What are four of the largest asteroids?
- 8 What is the size of the asteroids?
- 9 How many large asteroids are there?
- 10 How often do large asteroids hit Earth?
- 11 How many asteroids hit Earth daily?
- 12 What are the four main groups of asteroids?
- 13 How big was the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs?
- 14 How big was the asteroid that hit Russia?
- 15 Do asteroids have moons?
- 16 What C is the largest asteroids?
- 17 What is the name of an asteroid?
- 18 Is Pluto an asteroid?
- 19 What is the closest asteroid to hitting Earth?
- 20 Why dinosaurs become extinct?
- 21 What produces an impact crater?
- 22 What is AM type asteroid?
- 23 Is there an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter?
- 24 Is Ceres a dwarf planet or an asteroid?
- 25 Why would you mine asteroids?
- 26 What is the density of an asteroid?
- 27 How many known comets are there?
What are the 3 largest asteroids?
The Largest Asteroids
- 1 Ceres. Giuseppe Piazzi discovered 1 Ceres in 1801, and at first it was considered to be the eighth planet; Neptune and Pluto had not been discovered.
- 4 Vesta.
- 2 Pallas.
- 10 Hygiea.
- 704 Interamnia.
- 52 Europa.
- 511 Davida.
- 87 Sylvia.
What are the 5 largest asteroids?
The Five Biggest Asteroids
- 1 Ceres.
- 4 Vesta.
- 2 Pallas.
- 10 Hygiea. 10 Hygiea is the fourth most massive asteroid found so far in the asteroid belt and also has the fourth largest diameter.
- 31 Euphrosyne. 31 Euphrosyne is the fifth most massive asteroid found so far in the asteroid belt and has the twelfth largest diameter.
What are the 3 types of asteroids?
Generally, there are three main types of asteroids:
- Dark C (carbonaceous) asteroids, which make up most asteroids and are in the outer belt.
- Bright S (silicaceous) asteroids and are in the inner belt, closer to Mars.
- Bright M (metallic) asteroids.
What size asteroid is dangerous?
Size. Asteroids larger than approximately 35 meters across can pose a threat to a town or city.
What was the biggest asteroid?
What is the biggest asteroid that hit Earth?
The oldest impact crater on Earth is also the largest. Vredefort crater in South Africa, also called the Vredefort Dome, was originally 185 miles (300 kilometers) across, scientists estimate. A meteorite or asteroid bigger than South Africa’s Table Mountain blasted out the giant crater 2.02 billion years ago.
What are four of the largest asteroids?
Top: The four largest asteroids are 1 Ceres, 4 Vesta, 2 Pallas and 10 Hygiea (given mean-diameters may vary depending on source). Bottom-left: Ceres is the largest and most massive asteroid and the only one that is a dwarf planet.
What is the size of the asteroids?
Asteroids range in size from Vesta—the largest at about 329 miles (530 kilometers) in diameter – to bodies that are less than 33 feet (10 meters) across.
How many large asteroids are there?
This main asteroid belt holds more than 200 asteroids larger than 60 miles (100 km) in diameter. Scientists estimate the asteroid belt also contains between 1.1 million and 1.9 million asteroids larger than 1 km (3,281 feet) in diameter and millions of smaller ones.
How often do large asteroids hit Earth?
Asteroids with a 1 km (0.62 mi) diameter strike Earth every 500,000 years on average. Large collisions – with 5 km (3 mi) objects – happen approximately once every twenty million years.
How many asteroids hit Earth daily?
To date, there have been nearly 1,100 recovered falls (meteorites seen to fall) and nearly 40,000 finds (found, but not seen to fall). It is estimated that probably 500 meteorites reach the surface of the Earth each year, but less than 10 are recovered.
What are the four main groups of asteroids?
Main Belt: located between Mars and Jupiter roughly 2 – 4 AU from the Sun; further divided into subgroups: Hungarias, Floras, Phocaea, Koronis, Eos, Themis, Cybeles and Hildas (which are named after the main asteroid in the group).
How big was the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs?
It was formed by a large asteroid or comet about 11 to 81 kilometres (6.8 to 50.3 miles) in diameter, the Chicxulub impactor, striking the Earth.
How big was the asteroid that hit Russia?
Chelyabinsk meteor. The Chelyabinsk meteor was a superbolide that entered Earth’s atmosphere over Russia on 15 February 2013 at about 09:20 YEKT (03:20 UTC). It was caused by an approximately 20 m (66 ft) near-Earth asteroid with a speed of 19.16 ± 0.15 kilometres per second (60,000–69,000 km/h or 40,000–42,900 mph).
Do asteroids have moons?
Yes, asteroids can have moons! Some of the larger asteroids in our Solar System actually do have moons. In 1993, an tiny moon called Dactyl was discovered orbiting the large asteroid Ida. Dactyl is only about 1 mile wide, while Ida is about 19 miles across.
What C is the largest asteroids?
The largest unequivocally C-type asteroid is 10 Hygiea, although the SMASS classification places the largest asteroid, 1 Ceres, here as well, because that scheme lacks a G-type.
What is the name of an asteroid?
The term “planetule” was coined by the geologist William Daniel Conybeare to describe minor planets, but is not in common use. The three largest objects in the asteroid belt, Ceres, Pallas, and Vesta, grew to the stage of protoplanets. Ceres is a dwarf planet, the only one in the inner Solar System.
Is Pluto an asteroid?
Pluto is more than twice the diameter and a dozen times the mass of the dwarf planet Ceres, the largest object in the asteroid belt.
What is the closest asteroid to hitting Earth?
The closest approach to the Earth was 98.67 km (61.31 mi) above the surface.
Why dinosaurs become extinct?
The Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event, which occurred approximately 66 million years ago at the end of the Cretaceous period, caused the extinction of all dinosaur groups except for the neornithine birds.
What produces an impact crater?
An impact crater is an approximately circular depression in the surface of a planet, moon, or other solid body in the Solar System or elsewhere, formed by the hypervelocity impact of a smaller body.
What is AM type asteroid?
M-type asteroid. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. M-type asteroids are asteroids of partially known composition; they are moderately bright (albedo 0.1–0.2). Some, but not all, are made of nickel–iron, either pure or mixed with small amounts of stone.
Is there an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter?
The asteroid belt is the circumstellar disc in the Solar System located roughly between the orbits of the planets Mars and Jupiter. It is occupied by numerous irregularly shaped bodies called asteroids or minor planets.
Is Ceres a dwarf planet or an asteroid?
Ceres is the largest object in the asteroid belt. It is sometimes assumed that Ceres has been reclassified as a dwarf planet, and that it is therefore no longer considered an asteroid.
Why would you mine asteroids?
Asteroid mining is the exploitation of raw materials from asteroids and other minor planets, including near-Earth objects. Precious metals such as gold, silver, and platinum group metals could be transported back to Earth, whilst iron group metals and other common ones could be used for construction in space.
What is the density of an asteroid?
For many asteroids a value of ρ~2 g/cm3 has been assumed. However, density depends on the asteroid’s spectral type. Krasinsky et al. gives calculations for the mean densities of C, S, and M class asteroids as 1.38, 2.71, and 5.32 g/cm3.
How many known comets are there?
6,339 known comets
Photo in the article by “JPL – NASA”