- 1 How many forests are there in Kerala?
- 2 Which is the evergreen forest in Kerala?
- 3 Which type of forest is found in Kerala?
- 4 Which is the biggest forest in India?
- 5 Which district has more forest in Kerala?
- 6 Are there wild tigers in Kerala?
- 7 Are there lions in Kerala?
- 8 Are there crocodiles in Kerala backwaters?
- 9 What animals live in Kerala?
- 10 Who is known as Kerala lion?
- 11 What is tropical semi evergreen forest?
- 12 Which Indian state has highest forest cover?
- 13 Which state has lowest forest in India?
- 14 Which is the thickest forest in India?
- 15 Which is the first wildlife sanctuary in Kerala?
- 16 Which country has highest number of elephants?
- 17 Which state has highest tiger in India?
- 18 Which state has highest elephants in India?
- 19 Are there snakes in Kerala?
- 20 Where are the Kerala backwaters?
- 21 Which tree is found in Kerala backwaters?
- 22 Which is the largest sanctuary in Kerala?
- 23 Which is the biggest bird sanctuary in Kerala?
- 24 Which is the smallest wildlife sanctuary in Kerala?
How many forests are there in Kerala?
Most of Kerala’s significantly biodiverse tracts of wilderness lie in the evergreen forests of its easternmost districts; coastal Kerala (along with portions of the east) mostly lies under cultivation and is home to comparatively little wildlife.
Despite this, Kerala contains 9,400 km2 of natural forests.
Which is the evergreen forest in Kerala?
In India, evergreen forests are found in the western slopes of the Western Ghats in States such as Kerala and Karnataka. They are also found in hills of Jaintia and Khasi. Some of the trees found in Indian Tropical Forests are rosewood, mahagony and ebony. Bamboos and reeds are also common.
Which type of forest is found in Kerala?
The forest types of Kerala include Tropical Wet Evergreen Forests, Tropical Moist Deciduous Forests, Tropical Dry Deciduous Forests, Mountain Sub Tropical, Rolling Grasslands, Shola Forest, Thorny Scrub Forest, high Sholas etc..
Which is the biggest forest in India?
Which district has more forest in Kerala?
Are there wild tigers in Kerala?
Tiger numbers have all but doubled in Kerala, southern India, where World Land Trust (WLT) helped create a wildlife corridor in 2012 in partnership with Wildlife Trust of India (WTI). This complex now holds the world’s single largest tiger population, estimated at more than 570 tigers, according to the census.
Are there lions in Kerala?
Kerala also has six national parks containing protected and endangered species like the Indian Sloth-Bear, Lion-Tailed Macaque, Indian Bison, Bengal Tiger, Nilgiri Tahr etc.
Are there crocodiles in Kerala backwaters?
No, there are no crocodiles in Kerala Backwaters. If there is one place famous for crocodile in Kerala then it is Ananthapura lake temple. The backwaters are composed of lagoons, lakes, rivers, rivulets, canals, streams and salty seawater.
What animals live in Kerala?
The Begur Wildlife Sanctuary is home to myriads of exotic birds and animals species and highlights rich Kerala wildlife. Some of the major animal species that you find here include tigers, spotted deer, bear, elephants, bison, jungle cat, bison, civet cat, monkeys, wild boar, panther, wild dog, and many more.
Who is known as Kerala lion?
What is tropical semi evergreen forest?
Semi-evergreen forests are found in the Western Ghats, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and the Eastern Himalayas. Such forests have a mixture of the wet evergreen trees and the moist deciduous tress. The forest is dense and is filled with a large variety of trees of both types.
Which Indian state has highest forest cover?
India’s top five states with maximum forest cover (in km²) are:
- Madhya Pradesh (77,462)
- Arunachal Pradesh (67,248)
- Chhattisgarh (55,586)
- Maharashtra (50,628)
- Orissa (50,354)
Which state has lowest forest in India?
In India which state has the lowest forest cover ? India has a total forest area of 697,898 sq.km, with a percentage of 21.235%. Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat and Bihar have the lowest percentage of Forests in India. These 6 states along with the UT-Daman & Diu has forest percentages less than 10%.
Which is the thickest forest in India?
5 Indian States That Have The Densest Forest Cover
- Madhya Pradesh.
- Arunachal Pradesh.
- Maharashtra. The Forest Survey Conducted in 2014 has stated that the total forest cover of the state stands at 5.06 million hectares.
- Orissa. Orissa is at the position number five by having 5.03 million hectares covered under forests.
Which is the first wildlife sanctuary in Kerala?
Periyar National Park
Which country has highest number of elephants?
Which state has highest tiger in India?
Which state has highest elephants in India?
12 States With Highest Number of Wild Elephants in India
- Kerala – 6182. Anamudi known as Elephant mountain is the highest peak in the Kerala and known as Everest of South India.
- Karnataka – 6068.
- Assam – 5620.
- Tamil Nadu – 4015.
- Odisha – 1930.
- Meghalaya – 1811.
- Arunachal Pradesh – 890.
- Chhattisgarh – 247.
Are there snakes in Kerala?
Poisonous snakes. All the major venomous species of snakes found in India are also found in Kerala. The five common poisonous snakes found in Kerala are Indian Cobra, King Cobra, Russel’s Viper, Saw-scaled viper and Krait.
Where are the Kerala backwaters?
The Kerala backwaters are a network of brackish lagoons and lakes lying parallel to the Arabian Sea coast (known as the Malabar Coast) of Kerala state in southern India, as well as interconnected canals, rivers, and inlets, a labyrinthine system formed by more than 900 kilometres (560 mi) of waterways, and sometimes
Which tree is found in Kerala backwaters?
The most famous canal networks in Kerala, Alleppey, also known as Alappuzha is a green paradise and our number one choice when it comes to backwaters. The stretch of Alleppey Backwater lies 62 km south of Kochi, nestled in captivating greenery, paddy fields, coconut plantations and beautiful islands.
Which is the largest sanctuary in Kerala?
Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Which is the biggest bird sanctuary in Kerala?
Which is the smallest wildlife sanctuary in Kerala?
Wildlife Sanctuaries of Kerala
- Periyar Tiger Reserve in Thekkady, is spread over an area of around 925 sq.km.
- Parambikulam National Park is one of the Kerala’s premier wildlife reserves of 285 sq. km stretch forest.
Photo in the article by “Max Pixel”