Largest Lake in the World
- Caspian Sea map: Map of the Caspian Sea – World’s largest landlocked water body (by surface area). Image by CIA.
- Lake Baikal map: Map of Lake Baikal – World’s largest freshwater lake (by volume).
- Great Lakes map: Map of Lake Superior and Lake Michigan-Huron – World’s largest freshwater lakes (by surface area).
What are the 5 biggest lakes in the world?
What is the Largest Lake in the World?
- Caspian Sea – 371,000 Square Kilometers.
- Lake Superior – 82,414 Square Kilometers.
- Lake Victoria – 69,485 Square Kilometers.
- Lake Huron – 59,596 Square Kilometers.
- Lake Michigan – 58,016 Square Kilometers.
- Lake Tanganyika – 32,893 Square Kilometers.
- Lake Baikal – 31,500 Square Kilometers.
What are the top 10 biggest freshwater lakes in the world?
Top 10 Largest Freshwater Lakes In The World
- 10) Lake Erie. Lake Erie is one of the largest lakes in the world, at approximately 25,720 square kilometres in area.
- 9) Great Slave Lake.
- Lake Malawi.
- 7) Great Bear Lake.
- 6) Lake Baikal.
- 4) Lake Michigan.
- 3) Lake Huron.
- 2) Lake Victoria.
What is the largest lake in the world by volume?
The deepest lake in the world is Lake Baikal in Siberia. Its deepest point is 1637 meters. It holds 20% of the world’s fresh surface water and is the world’s largest freshwater lake by volume.
What are the top 10 deepest lakes in the world?
Baikal Lake in Russia at 5,387 feet deep is the worlds deepest lake. It is around 2,000 feet deeper than the Caspian Sea which is 3rd.
- Lake Baikal – 5,387 feet.
- Lake Tanganyika – 4,823 feet.
- Caspian Sea – 3,363 feet.
- Lake Vostok – 3,300 feet.
- O’Higgins-San Martin Lake – 2,742.
- Lake Malawi – 2,315.
Which is bigger Lake Superior or Lake Michigan?
Lake Michigan – 22,404 square miles. Lake Michigan is the third largest lake of the Great lakes by area and second by volume. It is the only lake that is entirely in the US; the other four are cross-border lakes. It occupies the western portion of Lake Michigan–Huron.
What’s the deepest lake in the world?
Is Lake Victoria bigger than Lake Superior?
It has a total surface area of 45,410 square miles (117,611 square kilometers), which is significantly larger than Lake Superior. Great Lakes map: Map of Lake Superior and Lake Michigan-Huron – World’s largest freshwater lakes (by surface area).
Is the Caspian Sea bigger than Lake Superior?
Despite its name, the Caspian Sea is often regarded as the world’s largest lake, though it contains an oceanic basin (contiguous with the world ocean until 11 million years ago) rather than being entirely over continental crust. Largest of the Great Lakes by volume, having more water than the other four combined.
Which of the Great Lakes is the deepest?
It holds about 3,000 cubic miles of water – enough to fill all the other Great Lakes plus Lake Erie three times over. The average depth of Superior is about 500 feet. It is the deepest (1,335 feet) of the Great Lakes.
What is the smallest lake in the world?
Lowest Lake. The lowest lake is the Dead Sea (it’s considered a lake but called a sea), which is in the Jordan Valley of Israel. The surface of the water is 1,340 ft (408 m) below sea level. The Dead Sea is also the saltiest lake in the world.
What is the largest manmade lake in the United States?
List of largest lakes of the United States by area
|1||Lake Superior||82,103 km2|
|2||Lake Huron||59,570 km2|
|3||Lake Michigan||57,757 km2|
|4||Lake Erie||25,667 km2|
76 more rows
What is the largest man made lake in the world?
10 Largest Man-made Lakes in the World
- Lake Kariba. Lake Kariba is the largest Man Made Lake formed by Zambezi River and used for many Purposes including Electricity Production.
- Bratsk Reservoir.
- Volta Reservoir.
- Manicouagan Reservoir.
- Lake Guri.
- Lake Nasser.
- Williston Lake.
- Krasnoyarsk Reservoir.
Which is the highest dam in world?
The tallest dam in the world is the Jinping-I Dam, an arch dam in China at 305 m (1,001 ft). The tallest embankment dam and second tallest dam in the world is the 300 m (984 ft) Nurek Dam in Tajikistan. The tallest gravity dam is the 285 m (935 ft) high Grande Dixence Dam in Switzerland.
What is the deepest hole in the world?
In 1970, Soviet geologists took on the challenge, setting their drills over the Kola Peninsula, which juts eastward out of the Scandinavian landmass. The Kola Superdeep Borehole was just 9 inches in diameter, but at 40,230 feet (12,262 meters) reigns as the deepest hole.
Where is the deepest point of Lake Michigan?
Lake Michigan is approximately 300 miles long and averages 75 miles across, covering 22,300 square miles — which is equal to the combined areas of the states of Maryland, Massachusetts and Delaware! It is 335 feet above Lake Ontario and 577 feet above sea level. The deepest point in the lake is 925 feet (282 meters).
Can you swim in Lake Superior?
Lake Superior is very cold. Not many people swim in Lake Superior. Not because it is dangerous, because most people don’t understand how wicked the lake can be, they don’t swim because the lake is so cold.
How many ships have sunk in Lake Superior?
Many of these ships were never found, so the exact number of shipwrecks in the Lakes is unknown; the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum approximates 6,000 ships and 30,000 lives lost, while historian and mariner Mark Thompson has estimated that the total number of wrecks is likely more than 25,000.
What is the highest lake in the world?
What is the deepest river in the world?
What is the shallowest lake in the world?
The southernmost lake of the Great Lakes, Lake Erie, is the shallowest one. Lake Erie is the most shallow of all the Great Lakes.
Which is the longest lake in the world?
Which is the largest lake in Asia?
Where is the world’s oldest lake?
Which is the largest lake in India?
Some facts about largest lakes of India (in terms of Surface area) –
- Largest natural fresh water lake of India is Wular lake (260 Sq Km).
- Largest artificial (manmade) fresh water lake of India is Shivaji Sagar Lake of Koyna Dam (891.7 Sq Km).
- Largest brackish water lake of India is Chilka lake (1165 Sq Km).
What is the biggest fish in the Great Lakes?
The waters in Michigan have produced some monster fish, as the 10 biggest fish on record show.
- 193-pound Lake Sturgeon.
- 2.61.5-pound Lake Trout.
- 61.5-pound Carp.
- 58-pound Great Lakes Muskellunge.
- 52-pound Flathead Catfish.
- More from Wide Open Spaces:
- 6.51.19-pound Tiger Musky.
- 49.75-pound Northern Muskellunge.
Which of the Great Lakes has the most shipwrecks?
Why is Lake Erie so dirty?
By the late 1960s, people were declaring that “Lake Erie is dead.” Heavy industry lined its shores in Cleveland and other cities, and factories dumped pollutants into the lake and the waterways that flowed into it (like the Cuyahoga River which caught on fire, multiple times) without much government oversight.
Photo in the article by “JPL – NASA”